What can Arsenal do about the keeper problem?

Since Jens Lehmann’s departure, Arsenal have arguably never been able to find a top quality goalkeeper and just like our defence it’s an issue we’ve had for a while now. We’ve seen the likes of Almunia, Mannone and Fabianski go through the tests and all seem to have failed. Two years ago Wojiech Szczseny broke onto the scene and he looked to be the one who could be our next goalkeeping hero.

Szczseny seemed to have so many qualities that at such a young age, it looked as if he would be able to command the number one goalkeeping spot for many years to come. Two seasons down the line and once again we are going through a bit of trouble in the goalkeeping department. Szczseny hasn’t entirely lived up to what was promised and that isn’t just based on recent performances that have seen the Polish international dropped from the side. His performances this year have been overshadowed with the stupidest of mistakes and you have to wonder, although he definitely has the potential to be one of the very best in the future, is he really good enough at the moment?

Should we be looking to sign another keeper, with quality and experience, at least until Szczseny continues to develop further?

There have been many suggestions of possible goalkeeping targets for Arsenal, including the likes of Pepe Reina and Victor Valdes. Whilst on a quieter approach we’ve seen the names Michel Vorm and Asmir Begovic being whispered around. I have doubts about the quality of the first two goalkeepers and I think their true ability is exaggerated because of the teams they play for, especially Valdes. Whilst Begovic and Vorm are true performers. They are an important part of their team week in week out and can sometimes be the difference whether their team wins or loses.

Arsenal fans desperately want some BIG NAMES to be brought into this football club, however it’s not always the name that we should look at because overall a player’s ability is based upon their own individual performance, not on their name and the club they play for. So if Arsenal are looking to sign another goalkeeper, maybe it should be the likes of Vorm or Begovic. Unless Wenger is confident that Szczseny will have the ability to be the Arsenal number one in the near future then maybe we should be looking at someone who could be a number one goalkeeper for the next 8 years rather than someone who will just come in to plug the gap for another few seasons.