Arsenal in shock move to re-sign Song from Barcelona?

There have been some suggestions in recent days that Alex Song is being lined up as a possible summer signing for Arsenal and now his footballing relative, Rigobert Song, has come out and spoken about Alex’s issue.

“Barcelona put so much effort into signing him last summer, and Alex turned down many great teams in order to sign with them,” he said. “But this season he has only been a substitute. He is not happy.

At Arsenal he was a leader on and off the field – he doesn’t feel like this in Spain and it makes him feel bad.”

When Arsenal let him go, we felt unhappy but didn’t feel too hurt by it, especially as he was a player that could be easily replaced. Not to mention the high £15 million fee we got for the defensive midfielder. We were linked with the likes of Yann M’vila (who has since joined a new team), as well as French International Etienne Capoue. Nobody was signed, though, either in summer or in January.

So with Arsenal still reportedly on the lookout for a player that can fill the defensive midfield role, should we look to resign Song?

Wenger never has been a fan of resigning former players, with Henry, Lehmann and Campbell all coming back as just last resort and desperation players. Although credit to all of them, with all 3 doing a fantastic job in their respective returns. But Alex Song would certainly play a more important role, most likely featuring every week and being the dominant man in midfield like he was before.

Another issue with this is, now Song has gone, Wenger may look to just stick with the development of Francis Coquelin and Emmanuel Frimpong. There’s no denying that Song was a good player in his time at Arsenal despite times of frustration but the question is, would you take Song back at the Emirates?

I personally wouldn’t mind bringing Alex Song back to Arsenal, as long as he was available for a much more reasonable price than the £15 million Barcelona paid, because quite simply I think there’s other areas we should be looking to strengthen more. What do you think?