The Chelsea Defender Who Would Be Great At Arsenal

One option for centre back or right back at Arsenal if we need any new players there could be Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic. Don’t dismiss the idea because in the last couple of season’s I have been very impressed with every aspect of his game.

Jose Mourinho seems to be planning on splashing the cash already and has already confirmed the signing of Andre Schurrle from Bayer Leverkusen. There have been reports that Mourinho will bring Nigerian international Kenneth Omeruo into the team after impressing for Dutch side ADO Den Haag on loan and with Nigeria.

Ivanovic may be chosen over Gary Cahill, David Luiz, Cesar Azpilicueta and even John Terry next season but Mourinho may consider selling him if somebody shows interest. He is 29 years old but would bring ability, experience, versatility and leadership to the Arsenal defence.

Bacary Sagna has long been linked away from the club with PSG and Monaco among others apparently interested. Those rumours seem to have calmed down now but just in case he does leave, Ivanovic would be a great replacement.

Even at centre back, the club could do with another one as cover or if Thomas Vermaelen is tried out in defensive midfield, Ivanovic could replace him in defence.

He is a strong defender, no doubt about that. He is a great header of the ball and Arsenal sometimes get caught out on set pieces but with him, it may be improved next season. And all of a sudden since playing at right back he seems to have discovered some hidden attacking ability. He scored 8 goals for Chelsea last season including 5 in the Premier League which is a lot for a defender.

He may not be anybody else’s first choice as a new defender for Arsenal but in the last two or three seasons Ivanovic has really become a great player. I’m not saying ‘Arsenal should sign him right now’ he’s just a good player who I would be happy to sign if I was in charge.