Arsenal Fans Delighted To Lose Another Deadwood Player

The news that a lot of Arsenal fans will cheer at is that Andre Santos is set to leave the club according to reports. According to the likes of ESPN and Sky Sports News, Brazilian side Flamengo are reportedly keen on signing the left back who has fallen out of favour at Arsenal.

The 30 year old joined Arsenal back in the summer of 2011 and was a last minute signing, which led to suggestions that he was nothing more than a panic buy from Wenger in a last ditch attempt to strengthen the team before the closure of the transfer window. At first, Santos wasn’t too bad and I still remember the goal he scored against Chelsea to bring the score back to 2-2 at Stamford Bridge, in what ended as a high scoring game of 5-3. Perhaps his defending was a bit off that day, however ultimately he wasn’t as bad as some fans portray him to be today.

However, fast forward to the present, everything is now very different to almost two years ago. Santos has fallen out of the Arsenal side, being criticized for being lazy and just overall poor footballing ability. Famously known for his off the pitch cockups in the fish and chips craving, the driving ban, the misspelling of “guys” and not forgetting the swapping of shirts with former Arsenal player Robin Van Persie, Santos has been nothing more than an embarrassment and trouble to Arsenal over this past season and now we finally seem set to let him go.

Flamengo chief Menezes told Sambafoot, “We all know Andre well, he played for Flamengo in the past besides working with me at Corinthians. He is an experienced full-back, has played in many places, has a lot of quality, a player that will add a lot if everything works out and the deal becomes official.”

Unfortunately it may be that the deal is only a loan deal, however Arsenal fans alike will be hoping that some form of agreement can be struck that will lead to Santos’ permanent exit from the club as its clear he won’t feature for us again. At 30 years old, there’s little chance of the player getting back in Arsene Wenger’s side and it’s good to know that we now seem set to getting rid of yet another piece of the ‘deadwood’.