Gervinho Not Leaving Arsenal Yet!

Lyon boss Remi Garde has denied that the French club are interested in signing the Arsenal forward Gervinho, after speculation arose that the Ivorian could soon return back to France.

Before signing for Arsenal, Gervinho played for Lille in Ligue 1, but now after two torrid years in England which has seen the 26 year old become one of the most frustrating players Arsenal fans have ever seen, there were some suggestions that he could soon be back in France, with Lyon and Marseille interested in him.

However Garde denied the link and said; “This has only come from the press. I’ve heard that Lyon is interested in Gervinho, but Gervinho is a striker, and we have young and very good strikers already at the club.”

It seems as if there is no genuine interest from Lyon, which is a shame because any deal could of perhaps included Arsenal target Clement Grenier, however it seems not to be and in fact the player we were linked with was Yoann Gorcuff, who if I remember rightly is probably the player Arsenal have been linked with the most for the last four seasons at least.

Other interest also reportedly comes from Seria A side Roma, where the Ivorian’s former manager at Lille now coaches however there has been no publicised progress on any deal regarding those two parties, after it was speculated that the real reason Gervinho didn’t travel on the pre-season tour of Asia was because he was close to securing a move away from the gunners.

It’s also understood that Arsenal want a reported £8.6 million or 10 million Euros for Gervinho if he leaves this summer and although that may seem to be a little high based upon his performances over the last two years, I think it’s a fair price for a fairly average player in today’s footballing financial market.