Koscielny OK But Arsenal Need To Appease The God Of Injuries Somehow

The run of bad luck that Arsenal are having with injuries is getting beyond a joke now, and whoever is responsible needs to move on and pick on somebody else. Last night in Turkey, both Laurent Koscielny and Wojciech Szczesny took blows to the head, with Kos having to be substituted with a horrendous gash to his head doled out by the can-can kicking of Pierre Webo.

The Arsenal physio described it as the worst cut he had ever seen and it went right down to the bone, so it is a huge relief today to hear that our hard headed defender will be alright. Maybe it is good for him, but not us, that he is suspended for the Fulham game so he can have a bit of extra time off. To be honest, if Vermaelen was fit he would probably have been given the game off as a precaution.

Szczesny’s injury, caused by the on rushing Moussa Sow, The keeper was brave and, it seems, lucky to escape with only minor damage. He also had a great game, showing that his mistake against Villa has not affected his confidence.

Having lost Gibbs to a gashed head and then Koscielny for the same reason in consecutive games, it really seems as if there is a cures on Arsenal at the minute. Hopefully that is it for a while, because we really cannot afford to lose anybody else. Against Fulham, Sagna will have to play alongside Mertesacker, with Jenkinson at right back. The only first team defender we have spare will be either Gibbs or Monreal, so unless Wenger signs another in the next day or so, he will have to promote somebody like Isaac Hayden or Daniel Boateng as central cover, and maybe Bellerin or Yennaris in case of a problem at right back.

You can bet your ass that Martin Jol will tell his players to get stuck in on Saturday, especially on our wafer thin defence, so hopefully we get a decent ref and not somebody from Rugby League this time.