I Wanted Wenger To Sign Luiz Suarez Not Higuain – Olivier Giroud

When Arsenal lost out in the race for Argentine striker Gonzalo Higuain to Napoli, pundits and fans berated Wenger but that left star striker Olivier Giroud happy.

“When the name of Suarez was circulating, I honestly thought it was a good thing for the team.

“We would’ve complemented each other. Suarez can also play out wide. It would have been difficult for me with another player.”

“We would have been in direct competition because he is a pure central striker,”

“Of course, at the time, it would have bothered me a bit but I was not afraid of competition.”

( Quotes via Goal.com )

While Arsenal fans craved for a striker that would get the goals and possibly put the Frenchman on his toes, Giroud wanted a striker that won’t really be a threat to him but would complement him. Higuain, Lewandowski or Llorente are strikers that are direct threats to Giroud because their versatility is limited since they can’t play on other wings. Should Arsenal sign any of them and with Wenger insistent on a lone striker (4-5-1), he will have to choose between Giroud and Higuain/Lewandowski and Llorente. But a player like Rooney or Suarez will complement Giroud since they can play on either wings. Agreed they will also be a threat to Giroud but they will be a bigger threat to Walcott and Podolski since despite been able to play centrally, they lack the height and Physical strength Giroud possess to play as a lone striker.

A lone striker is one role Giroud is playing so well owing to his unique qualities. Owing to his height, he can win aerial duels and due to his strength, he can hold on to the ball and bring in other players.

While I want Arsenal to sign a new striker, we need to play to our strength than our weakness, and if you believe English bookmaker such as 888sport.com, we are likely to sign a striker in January. What we need is another kind of striker (Suarez or Rooney) not a Lewandowski or Llorente because they are just a clone of what we currently have.