Arsenal Gunning For Abate

Ignazio Abate

Arsenal are reportedly tracking AC Milan’s Italian right back Ignatio Abate. Wenger seems to have learnt his lessons from past travails by targeting a ready made replacement for a player with an uncertain future.

That player in the current Arsenal set-up is Bacary Sagna. The French full back is in the final year of his Arsenal contract and yet to agree an extension. While retaining him is key on Wenger’s agenda, the French manager is reluctant to break the Gunners’ rigid contract rule for players in their 30s. According to reports, Sagna wants an increase on his current wages and the security of at least 2 years contract.

While I will loathe to see Sagna leave, the arrival of Abate will go a long way in assuaging the pain. The Rossonerri defender has ample experience both at club level and international level. That would be good and better than entrusting the fate of Arsenal’s right back in the hands of Jenkinson or the other rookies that Arsenal have been linked with.

For me, Jenkinson still has a lot to learn and if Sagna won’t stay longer to mentor him, he needs another older head to.

Getting Abate won’t be as straightforward as PSG are also touted to be interested. Seem the French champions are keeping their options open and should they fail to get Sagna, they might just be turning to the AC Milan man.

Whichever way it goes, it is still positive development for Arsenal as PSG can’t get both men as neither will be willing to play back-up. Hence, if PSG gets Sagna, the Gunners could go for Abate and should they go for Abate, we get to keep Sagna.