Ozil Says He Isn’t Scared Of Arsenal Pressure

Mesut-Ozil-celeb-pa_3012545

Arsenal’s record signing Mesut Ozil has revealed that he is unfazed by the pressure at the Emirates as the Gunners seek to put an end to the inglorious 8 years trophy drought.

Arsenal have been flying high in the league and are currently five points clear at the top. Wenger and the fans are keen to see an end to the drought as the club have not claimed any major silverware since the FA Cup final triumph over Manchester United back in 2005. Then, the likes of Henry, Viera, Pires, Reyes were still in the squad. No member of the current Arsenal team has won any trophy with the Gunners. This not too nice tale has left a huge weight of expectation on the shoulders of the Arsenal players and most notably amongst them is Mesut Ozil because of the huge transfer fee and the club he came from.

His arrival has been credited as one of the driving factors behind Arsenal’s flying out of the blocks this season but the former Bremen starlet has played down the pressure, insisting he was well equipped to handle it.

“I’ve played for Real Madrid, where the pressure is so huge because you have to go and really win absolutely every game,” Özil told the Daily Mirror.

“So after having played there for three years, pressure doesn’t scare me. That’s why I don’t really feel the pressure. The second thing is that what I do on a daily basis is what I love.

“I love playing football so I go out to play football and I don’t really feel pressure.

“Of course, there are some days when things don’t work out as well as on other days but that doesn’t have anything to do with pressure.”

Well said Ozil. A player of your calibre shouldn’t be fazed by pressure at Arsenal. Having played at Real Madrid as a regular and also one of the mainstays of the German team. At Real Madrid, the weight of expectation was enormous as Los Blancos were expected to fight for all the major trophies and in Barca, they had a stern challenge and in Germany, they are expected to rub shoulders with the best in Europe and the World.

Hopefully, his calmness and experience at winning titles will rub off on his Arsenal teammates and help see the Gunners over the finishing line ahead of the rest of the chasing pack.