Manchester City Star Confirms He Was Close To Arsenal Move

Manchester City’s midfielder currently on-loan at Everton Gareth Barry has revealed that Arsenal were on his trail in the summer. Reports had it that Wenger was pondering on a move for the former Aston Villa midfielder who had been declared surplus to requirements at Manchester City but the midfielder has now confirmed it.

“There was a bit of contact with Arsenal, and they were interested, but I think they went down the road with Flamini. If I’m being honest, they [Arsenal] have sort of surprised me, the way they’re playing, the way they’re being relentless in winning games. Their style of football hasn’t changed, but some of their players are at the top of their form”. Quote via express.co.uk

Interesting revelation from Barrry. Apparently Wenger was keen on adding steel to the Gunners brittle midfield in the summer and was linked with many names notably Felliani. He must have been put off by the huge wage demands of the Belgian and I can’t but be thankful that he dumped the Belgian. Looking at his sloppy start to life at Old Trafford, Wenger was spot on again.

Between Barry and Flamini, did Wenger make a good choice? I bet he did. For one, Flamini was a free agent who is younger and already understood Arsenal’s style of play and Wenger’s philosophy having played for the club some seasons ago but all the same, I believe Wenger should still have made a move for Barry as cover for crocked Abou Diaby. Taking the English midfielder on loan just like Everton has done would have given us additional depth in the defensive midfield positions. With Flamini, Arteta and Barry anchoring the defensive side of our midfield, we would be in good hands.

Considering his age, Barry wouldn’t be around for too long but he would have done a good job for Arsenal this season as the Gunners chase glory on 4 fronts (now 3 after we lost out in the Capital One Cup). Barry has looked a changed and rejuvenated player at Everton so far this season unlike the frustrated figure he cut at the Etihad stadium. Bet Wenger will be regretting he let the opportunity to sign him pass but the form of Flamini will offer little solace.