Sociedad Star Reject Arsenal

Arsenal’s winter target Real Sociedad’s Griezmann has played down an chance of him swapping the La Liga for the Premier League to sign for Arsenal in January. The Gunners have been linked with a move for the winger as Wenger seeks to bolster Arsenal’s attacking options. Arsenal’s priority going into the winter window is a striker but most of their striking targets are looking remotely available which has forced Wenger to tinker his plans. A move for a winger could see him re-deploy Walcott and Podolski from the wings to the central forward position.

Griezman has given a short shrift to the Gunners’ interests.

“It was a dream to play in the Champions League with Real Sociedad and I’m to have been able to play in it with my team, but that’s all over and now we need to focus on La Liga”.

“It’s unfortunate and I’m disappointed that we weren’t able to score a goal in the group stage, because we were close, but I am happy with the goal I scored in the qualifying and always tried to help the team.

“We always need to have the ambition to try an accomplish more, we need to get points from wherever we can and return to Europe.

“I’m happy with the minutes I played, the trips, the first time playing with the only club I’ve ever had, the club that has molded you into the player you are and I hope there will be many more moments like that in the future, but the first thing is to never forget the ones you had.”

“I’m over it, I don’t want to hear anything more. My sole focus is to continue working hard and doing my job well to help Real Sociedad. This is the only thing that matters to me.

“I’m not thinking about leaving in January, there’s nothing to [the rumours], I’m only focused on myself and in helping the team. Nothing more.”

“I’m not sure about the World Cup, but there are talking about me more and more in France, but I’m not obsessed by it. I’m just trying to help my team.

“I’m not thinking about the World Cup, but yes it’s been on my mind but it isn’t eating at me. My only thought is that I have to keep working hard with Real Sociedad and after that, whatever happens happens.” Said Griezman

Interesting words from the Socided’s star. From all he said, some things were revealed. He enjoyed the Champions League even if it was over in a jiffy as the Spanish side finished bottom of their group so no Europa Leagie solace for them. This implys that he would want to return there as soon as possible. Socidad’s chances of playing there next season is extremely slim considering their current position. In the light of this, he might just leave in search of it in the summer and that would leave Arsenal in a pole position to pounce.

He said he has the World Cup on his mind but wasn’t obsessed by it. Of course, he wouldn’t say he is obsessed by it but is there any player that won’t want to play at the biggest football showpiece. The desire to make the squad could be a reason why he is reluctant moving in the winter. He needs regular first team football to stand a chance of doing so. At Sociedad, his place is guaranteed and not under threat but that’s not the case at Arsenal. If I were him, I would also think twice before moving.

Arsenal might not get him in January as he has revealed he isn’t moving then but they could land him in the summer when there is major tournament to look forward to.