Arsenal Can Beat Bayern Munich – Insists Carl Jenkinson

Carl Jenkinson

The trending topic is the Champions League draw for the round of 16 that has pitched Arsenal against German treble winners Bayern Munich. Everyone thinks the Bavarians would rip Arsenal to shreds but one of Arsenal’s fledging stars right back Carl Jenkinson believes Arsenal could surprise doubters and sceptics by actually dumping the holders out of the competition.

“[The draw] was a strange one because you look at Bayern Munich and they’re a fantastic team – in that sense you’re thinking it could have been easier but, at the same time, we know we can beat them. We proved it last season,” he told talkSPORT.

“Beating Bayern Munich 2-0 in their home ground doesn’t happen very often. We know we have the capability to beat them so I’m sure the boys are positive about the draw.

“I’m excited about it, personally. If you want to be the best, you’ve got to beat them and Bayern are definitely one of the best teams. It will be a great game for the neutral, as well.”

Arsenal were made to fight but scraped through Group F, reaching the knockout phase for the 14th successive season but landing a tough draw after finishing behind last year’s runners-up, Borussia Dortmund.

Bullish thoughts from the young right back. Yeah, certainly Arsenal can beat Bayern but they will have to be at their best to do that because the Germans are seldom at their worst and in Guardiola, they have a manager that will always keep them on their toes.

To do that, Arsenal must field their best legs and in doing so, ]I am sorry Jenkinson but that means you won’t be playing because you are certainly not the best leg for the right back position. Ribery would make a mince meat of you on the left wing. We need the experience of Sagna to combat the trickery of the Frenchman.

Hopefully, Wenger will get his selection right because that is the key to beating the Germans. Our full backs must be ready to defend stoutly as the Germans operate more via the wings where Robben and Ribery run riot. The options available to us are Sagna/Jenkinson and Gibbs/Monreal. Without any iota of doubt, Sagna and Gibbs are the ideal candidates to combat the threat of Bayern’s wing wizardry.