Wilshere’s Loss Could Be Rosicky’s Gain

tomas-rosicky

Arsenal player Jack Wilshere could be set to miss the crucial match against Chelsea after raising his middle finger at Manchester City during their game on Saturday. The midfielder is set to be charged with improper conduct, according to the Mirror, which means he will miss out on the London derby between the Gunners and the Blues.

After making the offensive gesture at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday, the FA have little choice but to give the young gunner a one or two match ban. In my opinion, it is safe to take a bet with Betfair betting on the the FA to making the ban 2 match ban instead of the more moderate one match ban. The gesture came as the north London club lost 6-3 to the Manchester team.

According to the new FA rules, even if referee Martin Atkinson did not put the offence in his report, the FA can still punish Wilshere because the gesture was caught on camera. Back in 2011, Liverpool player Luis Suarez committed the same offence, and he too served a one match ban. That gesture came after losing too, however this time it was only 1-0 and to Fulham.

Sad one for Wilshere but a blessing in disguise for another star who has been in the shadows of the young Englishman lately talking about Tomas Rosicky. With his ban now, Wenger has no luxury of options. With Wilshere likely going to be out, Wenger is now forced to juggle his options between Rosicky, Cazorla and Arteta. The Czech and Spanish stars would be better fit to replace Wilshere since they are more versatile and can interchange roles with Ozil by moving from the wings to central midfield. Whoever gets the nod between Cazorla and Rosicky must prove his mettle and make it difficult for Wilshere to walk straight back into the team. I love Wilshere but I want competition in the team as that is the only way we can get the best out of the players which is the only route to the title.

Hopefully, it is a lesson to learn for the young Englishman. I understand the frustration at his performance, the officiating and the scoreline but he should always know that he is a star and a whole lot is expected of him.