Arsenal To Return For Michu

Arsenal seem set to revive their interest in Swansea’s Spanish striker Michu. The Gunners are certainly in the need for more firepower in attack as their blunt attack was exploited by Manchester City in the Premier League loss at the weekend.

In a bid to strengthen the attack, Arsenal have once again been linked with signing Michu. The Mirror reported ‘Swansea’s Michu opens the door to Arsenal transfer in January’, reporting the following quotes:

“Every player dreams about playing in big teams, clubs who play in the Champions League and fight for titles, I am no different.

“I’m very happy at Swansea but it is obvious that every player wants to grow up and see how far you can go.”

It prompted manager Michael Laudrup to issue a stunning valuation of the player, at double the price they sold Joe Allen to Liverpool for at £15m.

“We have the example of what Liverpool paid for Joe Allen, if they have to pay double for Michu there are few clubs who could afford that.”

After Michu broke into the Spain squad this Autumn, Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins insisted that valuation still stands.

“I would say Michael was about right with his valuation of Michu if you look at the current market, but this call-up enhances that further. We know we have a very talented player and naturally we want to keep him.”

That valuation is aimed at deterring clubs, knowing £30m plus for a twenty seven year old who has never played Champions League football is a gamble many clubs may not want to take.

This is interesting. Michu is one of the few decent strikers out there that Arsenal can buy. He has Premier League experience, the versatility Wenger wants his players to have which means he won’t be too much of a direct threat to Giroud and the most important been his availability for the knock-out stages of the Champions League.

Certainly, Wenger might baulk at paying £30m for a twenty seven year old striker, but the desire of the Spaniard to play for a team that has the realistic chance of winning the Premier League and also playing Champions League football regularly. The best Swansea can offer him is Europa League football but with him getting older, he would certainly want a taste of Champions League football just like Suarez only that Liverpool still has a more realistic chance of making top 4 and their reluctance to sell to a domestic rival is a huge stumbling block to any likely hope of Suarez joining Arsenal.

Hopefully, Arsenal’s seriousness, Swansea’s need for money and Michu’s desire to play Champions League football could just see the Gunners land the Spaniard for between £18-£20m.