Koscielny Plays Down Injury Fears

Laurent Koscielny

Arsenal did not only lose three points at the Etihad on Saturday, they also lost a very key player. Laurent Koscielny who has been a rock for the Gunners this season, sustained a nasty looking injury in the loss to City and fears were rife that he could be out for a long spell on the sidelines.

If anyone was in doubt of Koscielny’s importance to Arsenal’s defensive solidity this season, such doubts were erased against City. As at the time he left, Arsenal had conceded just two goals but by the end of the match, they had let in four more. That raised the question of what would have been if the Frenchman hadn’t been forced off. Probably, the Gunners could have taken something from the game.

The good news is that Koscielny’s injury isn’t as terrible as fared. The French ace spoke about it himself saying :

“not a too serious injury for Laurent.”

That is certainly a boost. I can’t imagine Arsenal been without the former Lorient defender for any protracted spell. He has been solid at the back and also formed a formidable partnership with Mertesacker. Vermaelen would be hoping is away for some time so he could stake a claim for a berth in the first team but that wish would be a selfish one as it’s certainly not in the best interest of the club. Vermaelen and Mertesacker’s partnership is a very shaky one.

Will he be fit enough to take to the field against Chelsea? Well, not conclusive for now but I am sure Wenger would do all he can to make sure he is fit for the match as we need to put our best foot forward defensively against Chelsea.