Wenger Set To Plug Defence In January?

Arsene-Wenger

With the transfer window set to swing open in a few weeks, Arsenal are expected to be active but the position they were expected to strengthen was the attack but it seems they might just have to consider strengthening the backline as well. Arsenal’s ace defender Laurent Koscielny sustained an injury in the defeat against City.

It wasn’t only his injury that must have raised questions but the fact that the Gunners erstwhile miserly defence let in 4 goals after the Frenchman left the game.  According to Talksport, Arsene Wenger may need to replace him in January.

Koscielny’s injury is not thought to be as bad as first feared with the Frenchman expected to be out for weeks rather than months, but the Gunners may look at a new centre back in January to enable competitions for places.

Wenger was quick to criticise the defending of his whole team after such a successful start to the season in that area of the pitch.

“The defensive work we put in together from upfront to the back, I didn’t like it at all,” fumed Wenger.

“Until now it has been one of our strong points. That’s where we were very, very poor today. The defenders were too exposed.”

Well said Wenger. Arsenal certainly need to beef up the defence if we are to maintain our early season momentum. Besides trying to get a new centre back because from what I saw of Vermaelen against City, the Belgian didn’t show any confidence and his sloppy marking allowed some of the goals. Arsenal should consider moving for a defensive midfielder. Flamini and Arteta haven’t done badly, in fact they have done so well but the Gunners need a towering presence in the middle of the pack. Yaya Toure was so dominant and what made it so was his huge frame, Flamini and Ramsey couldn’t just stop his moving tank.

On Koscielny, I hope he isn’t out for too long as we can’t afford that luxury. Even if Wenger brings in a defender in January, he might just not hit the ground running and when he does, he will need to form a formidable partnership with Mertesacker. To this end, we need the Frenchman back as soon as possible so he could continue his thriving partnership with the German.