Toni Sanabria Close To Joining Arsenal

Toni Sanabria

Arsenal seem to have won the race to sign Barca’s starlet Tony Sanarabia according to the player’s agent. The seventeen year old is seen as one of the Catalan giants’ finest emerging stars, and has been tipped to make a big impact at the club for some time. The striker has been scoring goals for fun in the Barcelona youth set up, winning three senior caps for Paraguay in the process.

The Paraguayan forward has also attracted attention from Italian side Roma but it seems like Arsenal have stolen the march on their rivals. Sanabria’s agent, Raul Verdu has revealed they are already in advanced talks with Arsenal and hopes for a positive result next week. He said :

Our contacts with Arsenal are advanced and I expect a solution in the next week.

The Gunners will also have to gain clearance from the Football Association and the Royal Spanish Football Federation, but they are prepared to meet Barcelona officials next week to complete the move. They are likely to only have to pay compensation of around £300,000.

He is set to follow in a long line of players to quit Barcelona for Arsenal as the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Fran Merida, Hector Bellerin and Jon Toral have all done the same. He is undoubtedly a very rare, physical talent who is a strong runner and is skillful with the ball at his feet. He’s got the pace and is known for scoring from range and for fantastic solo goals. He has the technical ability to slot into Arsenal’s slick, passing style of football.

If all these attributes are true then Arsenal might have just struck gold but the fact there still remains that he is one for the future and not the finished product. While I salute Wenger for his forward thinking and planning for the future, he shouldn’t halt his pursuit of a striker by claiming he has already got one in Sanabria. We need one that will hit the ground running whilst the Sanabria settles in.

Will he have the same impact as Fabregas at Arsenal? That stands to be seen. Merida didn’t really live up to the hype or should I say he wasn’t patient enough? Hopefully, he will patiently bid his time and not try to jump the gun.