Wenger To Rest Olivier Giroud

Arsene Wenger has admitted he might have to take French striker Olivier Giroud off the firing line. The Frenchman is Arsenal’s only top notch striker and owing to this fact, he has played all but just one of Arsenal league games this season. While he started the season in stunning form scoring in his first four league games and having racked up seven goals already this season, he has fallen on a bad patch in front of goal in recent matches notably against City, Chelsea and yesterday West Ham, where should he have been more clinical. If he had been, the Gunners could have raked in at least six points instead of the three points they ended with.

The twenty seven yearold though, has rarely been given a rest with Nicklas Bendter’s appearance against Hull City the only occasion where Giroud was not handed a start in a league game this season.

Now that Lukas Podolski is back in action and with the winter window opening in a few days, Wenger might be set to give his compatriot a break that he will hope will aid him return to form.

“The three games he played in six days had a big weight in our recent results, but since then we had nine days when we could recover and I think tonight he (Giroud) was not tired.” Wenger said

“I will have to rest everybody at some stage. Bendtner or somebody else (will have to start at some stage).”

Well said Wenger. Apparently, Giroud needs a rest. You cannot recover from the exertion of many months in just 9 days. Despite Wenger saying Giroud wasn’t tired against Chelsea, I beg to differ. Giroud needs to be taken off the firing line so that he could sufficiently recharge his batteries.

And who could replace him, Wenger mentioned Bendtner or somebody else. I think somebody else is the candidate that should be taken more seriously. The Danish striker might just be leaving in the winter window. in the few matches he has played this season, he is yet to impress me that he is good enough to lead the line in decisive matches and with Podolski back, I think Wenger could be turning to the German to provide the goals in Giroud’s absence.