Arsenal Told To Pay £22m For Their Target

yohan-cabaye-newcastle-united_3004966

Arsenal will have to spend big if they are still keen on luring Newcastle’s French midfielder Yohan Cabaye to the Emirates in the winter window. According to reports in the Daily Mail, Arsene Wenger has been told he will have to pay £22 million if he wants to get his summer target in the winter. There is speculation that the Gunners will make a move for the Frenchman in January to add even more depth to their already crowded midfield.

I don’t expect him to come cheap as he has been churning out beautiful displays for Newcastle since his re-integration into the side but I also don’t expect Wenger to make another move for him. Arsenal are already well stocked in the midfield area with Flamini, Arteta, Ramsey, Rosicky, Cazorla, Ozil and Wilshere. Should Cabaye come, where will he play?

While having plethora of options, Arsenal can still make do with another midfielder but not a deep lying playmaker which is what Cabaye is but an outright natural defensive midfielder who can anchor the defensive department of the midfield in Flamini’s absence as we have learnt this first half of the season that the former AC Milan man is not infallible and is also susceptible to injuries.

Arsenal’s major focus going into the winter window is a striker to help Giroud out and what that means is that Pardew can enjoy Cabaye’s company for a little longer, at least till the summer. I cannot say categorically that Wenger won’t make a renewed approach for him because the Frenchman could consider him as a perfect replacement for Mikel Arteta who is certainly growing older and edging closer to his Arsenal exit.

Should Arsenal or any Champions League playing club make an offer for him, Pardew might not be able to stop him the second time from leaving as he had already voiced out his desire and longing for a return to the pinnacle of European club football. Since Newcastle might be unable to offer him, they might just have to make do with an offer from a club that can do that.