Why Arsenal Should Play Walcott As Striker

The conundrum at the Emirates is in the striking department and ahead of the winter transfer window, Arsene Wenger has been urged to go all out to get Arsenal another striker, one that would be able to effectively take the weight of goalscoring burden off the shoulders of Giroud.

I am not against Arsenal buying a new striker but the risk in getting in a new man in January and expecting him to settle into the squad is a high one. A new man could come in and adapt but it is also possible that he would initially struggle to adapt to the rigours of the league.

To this end, a plan B is needed. The alternate plan is to look inwards and consider the solutions we have internally. I personally believe Wenger is not optimising the attacking threat we currently have on offer in the team. One of such secret weapons is English winger Theo Walcott.

In his spell at Arsenal, he has played on the wings but he has always craved for a striking berth claiming he is more of a striker than a winger. Truly, his skills fit a striker than a winger. He can’t cross and he can’t dribble. His only asset is his pace and finishing which are key for a striker.

Since coming back from injury, he has scored 4 goals in 3 matches both coming as brace. For his goals against City, he showed deadly finishing reminiscent of the Henry Era and for his first goal against West Ham, he used his run to good effect before picking his spot and the second one was a bullet header, a clear case of awareness and agility.

He has some attributes that will make him succeed as a striker but he also lacks some and that could make him struggle in that role. He lacks the height and strength. That’s what we need Giroud for but the Frenchman is obviously tired and that seems to have robbed him of form. Walcott can step in, in his absence and help out with goals pending his return. Should Wenger find a striker difficult to get in January, he could turn to getting a winger who will replace Walcott on the wings. That’s even if we need to since Chamberlain returns in January.

Playing Walcott as a striker would not only help fill a void, it would also help the Englishman realize his age-long ambition and hopefully, help us keep him beyond his current contract. If I may remind us, he singed a three and half extension and is already a year ito it. If we continue starving him of the opportunity to play as a striker, we might not be so lucky when it’s time to talk renewal.