Arsene Wenger Deserves To Win The Champions League – Alan Pardew

Alan-Pardew-Newcastle_0

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is getting a little sentimental ahead of his clash against Arsenal. He believes that Arsène Wenger “deserves” to win the Champions League with Arsenal this season. The Gunners face a tough test in the last 16 of Europe’s elite club competition after they were pitted against holders Bayern Munich in the first knockout round.

“Football is a world market and maybe Arsène Wenger saw that before other managers or chairmen. In that respect, we owe him a debt,” Pardew is quoted as saying in the Sunday Mirror.

“I think clubs can learn from Arsenal. What a job Arsène has done. No-one can ever take away from him what he has achieved, especially that ‘Invincibles’ season.

“I really hope he wins the Champions League this season. I think he deserves it for the career he’s had.

“I think longevity is important, I really do. There is a lot of decision-making for managers these days and only an experienced manager can make those calls. But a lot of decisions are being taken away from us…not particularly at Newcastle but at other clubs.

“It’s hard to get longevity too because there’s not that loyalty. The game needs to look at that.”

Really interesting thoughts from Pardew. I agree Wenger deserves to enter the Champions League hall of fame by winning the coveted trophy. He has been close to winning it on one occasion and this season might just be it. He seems to have been able assemble a balanced and experienced squad but before dreaming of winning the title, they must first overcame Bayern that are certainly a stern test. If they beat the Bavarians, I am sure belief would be rife in the Gunners camp that they can do the seemingly impossible and conquer Europe.

The Champions League is good but if there is one trophy I want Arsenal to win this season, it is the Premier league and beating Newcastle will go a long way in achieving that. Pardew, thanks for your best wishes in Europe but we also want the Premier League title.