Arsenal, Sagna Contract Battle Lingers

There seems no end in sight to Sagna’s contractual impasse with Arsenal. The Daily Mail claims that the thirty year old has been embroiled in a long-running contract dispute with the Gunners after rejecting a twelve month extension last season.

The club have made the right-back an improved offer of a two-and-a-half year deal, expiring in 2016. Which is one of the things he was looking for as he seems to want job security but the other request of a pay rise wasn’t considered as the new offer does not include a pay-rise on his current wages which is said to be in the region of £70k a week wages according to the report.

Well, I believe Arsenal are making progress and the fact that they shifted their grounds from a year extension to an offer of two and half year means Wenger and his team know it is better keeping him than scouting for a replacement.

On his wages, I believe both parties will reach a compromise. Sagna deserves a pay rise with his form so far this season. If he leaves, he would earn more elsewhere since he is a free agent and Arsenal would spend more replacing him since they would pay transfer fee and to be honest, it will be difficult to find a decent right back collecting lower than £70k per week in the current market.

If the likes of Walcott and Podolski can be on over £80k per week, then I do not think we should be debating whether Sagna who has been a trust worthy servant of the club deserves a pay rise. It is important to note that the youngsters at the club such as Nico Yennaris and Carl Jenkinson will benefit immensely from the experience of Sagna in the next 2-3 years and we should do all we can to retain his services – he is not only worthy of manning the right side of our defense but will also serve as a mentor to the youngsters.

Hopefully, it would be an amicable solution at the end but I can’t wait to see the dogged Frenchman commit to Arsenal. He deserves a new contract with a pay rise and we need him.