Wenger Confident Of Frenchman Signing

Bacary-sagna

Arsenal might be cruising in the league race but there is a huge uncertainty around one of their key players. French defender Bacary Sagna is in the final year of his contract and is still yet to agree an extension with the Gunners. While the media constantly links him with a switch back to France as PSG and Monaco seem keen on luring the veteran right back to his homeland, Wenger remains positive that the former Auxerre defender will stay on at the Emirates beyond this season.

“We cannot stop him from doing that (signing a pre-contract agreement with another club).

We are not far. I will push very hard to get it done, yes

“But for me, that is not a problem because when you are a professional football player, you do until the last day your best. If you don’t do that, you are not professional for me.

“I don’t question Sagna’s commitment until the last day of his contract.” Said Wenger

Well said Wenger. If there is one player always willing to put himself on the line for the good of the team, it is Sagna. This season, he has already filled in at centre back and despite the rumblings on about his contract, he has always given his best on the field. The fact that Arsenal boast the best defence in the league after twenty league matches this season is a huge testament to that.

I hope both parties come to an amicable solution which will see him stay on. Reports have it that he has been offered a new two and half year deal without pay rise which he rejected but I believe Arsenal will offer him a little pay rise in their bid to keep him much longer because keeping him is a cheaper option that replacing him.