Arsenal Could Complete Striker Deal Next Week

Toni Sanabria

With the winter window officially opened, Arsene Wenger is still keeping transfer targets close to his chest by declaring that the Gunners haven’t spoken to anyone over a move but the media continue to be awash with news of likely arrivals. One player the Gunners seem closing on whether or not Wenger admits is Barca youngster Toni Sanabria.

According to reports, the Paraguayan starlet is set to announce his destination as early as next week and it could just be the Emirates. The Gunners have been in a straight battle with Italian giants Roma over the highly rated starlet and now, the lid is set to be opened on who eventually won the race for his signature. According to Spanish newspaper Sport, an announcement of his decision is imminent. Here is what the paper said ( loosely translated from Spanish) :

“We already know about the rumours regarding the future of Tonny Sanabria. Will he stay at Barca? Will he go to Arsenal? Will Rome be the final destination ? Is there a surprise team that nobody talks about? Unfortunately for many Barca fans, from all indication it seems the least likely option is for him to stay in Barcelona, while Arsenal and Roma always appeared to be the best positioned to take over its services . At times it seemed that the decision was imminent, but it has been delayed. But now every thing points to a final decision been made soon. If there are no last minute surprises, it should be this week when the Paraguayan makes an announcement in regards to his future.”

I can’t wait for this transfer to be over. it is turning into a saga of some sort. While I would be excited to see Arsenal clinch the services of a player have fought tooth and nail to keep, I would still expect Wenger to get in someone who is more experienced and ready to fire immediately. Sanarabia is certainly a long term prospect, not an immediate solution. However, signing him will be good for the reserves and the fact that Barca has fought tooth and nail to keep him shows he is probably good.