Roma Beat Arsenal For Talented Catalan

Antonio Sanabria.

Arsenal seem to have lost out in the race for highly rated Barcelona forward Antonio Sanabria. The youngster has been linked with an exit from Barcelona in search of first team football and thus became a tug of war between Arsenal and Italian giants Roma.

It looked as though Arsenal would win the race and Sanabria would tow the path of other youngsters that had ditched the Catalans for the Gunners a la , Fabregas, Fran Merida, Hector Bellerin, Jon Toral and others but that seems unlikely now as the Paraguayan has opted for a move to Italy instead.

It was reported that the Gunners were ready to sign the forward in January and are ready to meet his £2.5m release clause in a deal that could go up to £4.5m but have now been pipped by Roma to his signature.

Sad development if you ask me. I was expecting that the arrival of the highly rated youngster would spark a decent list of winter signings by Wenger. I am still curious as to why he opted for Roma instead of Arsenal, does he think his chances of breaking into the first team is brighter there than at Arsenal? I doubt it. Anyway he has made his choice and we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk. In fact, it is no real reason to lament because Sanabria is a talent for the future and could have proved counter-productive if Arsenal signed him as Wenger could have argued that the youngster would provide the cover needed for Giroud but we all know what Arsenal need is an experienced striker and not a talented neophyte.

Now that Sanabria has gone, hopefully Wenger will now focus on doing the needed deals.