Ray Parlour Laments Walcott Injury

Theo-Walcott

Comments are still pouring in over the injury to Theo Walcott. Arsenal’s legend Ray Parlour has lent his voice to the cacophony of voices.

“When he was stretchered off at the weekend he looked to be in pretty good spirits and no-one expected an injury like he’s now got,” Parlour told Sky Sports News.

“The scan results are terrible news – he’ll be absolutely distraught because he was just coming back into form and everything was going really well and he could have looked forward to the World Cup in Brazil.

“Theo was always an outlet for Arsenal – when you’re up against it as a team you can stick it behind the full-back and he’s onto it like a shot with his pace.

“His finishing is also so much better than it was a couple of years ago – his all-round game has got better and he’s at a good age – 24 – and he’s getting more experienced.

Well said Parlour. It is really said to see Walcott get injured. While I agree that Arsenal will miss him, England will miss him more at the World Cup. After missing out on the last edition at South Africa, Walcott had played himself into reckoning, establishing himself as England’s first choice right winger but with the injury, he is set to watch from home. I pity England as they would have to fall back on Chamberlain, Young and Townsend.

As for Arsenal, there is ample time to make up for the loss by buying a replacement, Wenger can also give more opportunities to Gnabry, Chamberlain and Rosicky. The most important thing is that Walcott should return stronger. The injury shouldn’t rob him of his talents. Pires once suffered similar injury but came back stronger, I believe Walcott would tow the same line.

With him set to miss the World Cup, the best way to make the season worth it for him is for his teammates to win the league. That would fetch him a winner’s medal. That would go a long way in mitigating the blow of the injury and attending consequences.