Arsenal’s Interest In High Rated Star Confirmed, But Could It Be A Ploy?

CheikhouKouyate_2924542

One of the positions in which Arsenal have been lacking personnel is the center back position, though it hasn’t affected them critically in any manner, it always pays to be safe. So believes the manager Arsene Wenger if English media outlets are to be believed.

No substantial rumours have been reported with regards to Arsenal’s interest in any defender with the exception of Anderlecht’s Senegal international Cheikhou Kouyate whose agent has gone on record with Turkish-football.com saying, “I have been in talks with representatives from Liverpool and Arsenal over Cheikhou Kouyate. Arsenal are very interested in Kouyate. It’s very likely that he’ll be joining a Premier League club soon.”

Which is perfectly tangible given what Anderlecht boss Herman Van Holsbeeck had previously said to the media. “We expect to keep our star players, but Kouyate could leave. We know there is interest in him in the Premier League. If a suitable offer arrives he can leave.” Now all this is very good but why does the agent of an African player playing in the Belgian league need to speak to a Turkish website about ‘legitimate’ interest in his players from possibly the biggest clubs in England?

Seems like a very clever ploy to generate interest in his client, although not very clever with the number of times we have seen this exact same trick deployed. However, I secretly hope Wenger still has his eyes on buying for us a defender before the window closes. Everyone seems to be focused on our need for a striker but people forget we are just as short in the centre of our defensive. Personally, I want us to sign a striker but I also want a versatile defender.

We need a fourth choice centre back as it is too risky seeing off the whole season with just three centre backs – Koscielny, Per and Vermaelen.