Wenger Watching 45m Star According To Reports, But Don’t Need Him

Arsene Wenger

It is the winter transfer window, hence transfer news whether true or false isn’t a surprise. According to Portuguese daily Record, the Gunners are interested in signing Sporting Lisbon’s midfield starlet William Carvalho.

The article in Record is headlined “Arsenal are carefully looking at William Carvalho”, with the sub-headline “Wenger has asked for a detailed report”. Interesting but luxurious development if you ask me. Cavarlho is a defensive midfielder and to this end, has been dubbed the new Vieira. As heart-warming as that sounds, it isn’t what Arsenal needs at the moment.

In the defensive midfield position, the Gunners already have Flamini, Arteta and Ramsey. A move for another defensive midfielder might upset the balance of thr squad instead of strengthening it. Going into the window, what Arsenal needed was a striker and that need has been made even more dire with the long term injury to Walcott.

The implication is that Arsenal need either a striker and a winger to help reduce the burden on Giroud and also replace Walcott or get a versatile attacker that can play on both fronts. Cavarlho might be a good player but he won’t come cheap. Reports quote a 45m Euros buyout clause with Lisbon insistent on not selling. This means should Arsenal be keen, they will have to trigger the buy-out clause.

Although as Diaby is out of the season now, Wenger may feel compared to bring in another defensive midfielder since Ramsey and Arteta are not really defensive midfelders but I just can’t see Wenger spending as much as 45m euros on a defensive midfielder playing for a third rate football club in Europe.

I just can’t see this deal happening even though I still believe we could do with another defensive midfielder ( a real defensive midfielder ala Flamini ) but again, Cavarlho would still be available in the summer and then, we can make a move for him since we can make do with what we have right now till the end of the season.