Striker Frustration For Arsenal As Jackson Martinez Is Set For Porto Stay

jackson-martinez-porto

Arsenal target Jackson Martinez has poured cold water a likely switch to Arsenal this month as he declared he would be sticking with the Portuguese giants till the summer at the earliest.

“I will continue with FC Porto until the end of the season, I’m right here. God will know when it is time to go forward, but while I am here I will give it everything.” He told local newspaper O Jogo.

Guess he has given up on Porto allowing him to leave mid-season or the interested clubs are unwilling to match his release clause believing the Portuguese club would be stringent on the payment of the release clause if he is to exit the club in January but might just relax it a little if the move is in the summer window.

If Arsenal really want him, the time to strike the deal is now because in the summer, the race for his signature will be fiercer as other top clubs looking for attacking reinforcement might also turn in his direction but I won’t be surprised if Wenger don’t return for him because it is unlikely that Arsenal will splash out on Schalke’s Julian Draxler in January and then spend big again on Martinez in the summer.

If early reports are true, Wenger wants to bring in Draxler and mould him into a striking force and that plan would be hampered if he brings in another big money natural striker.