Wilshere Backs Giroud To Deliver Title

Olivier Giroud

Arsenal fans are expecting Arsene Wenger to bring in new signings this winter window. While fans won’t mind Wenger bringing in players across all the departments, one key position they expect the Frenchman to strengthen is the attack. The reasons for that are not far-fetched; Arsenal are dependent on Olivier Giroud while back-ups are few, with the ones that could be considered to step into the void should anything happens to the Frenchman are also injured though reports have it that Bendtner is closing in on a return. But even when fit, he can’t be adjudged as good enough to be dependent upon.

Another reason is that Giroud isn’t seen as prolific enough and some pundits and fans are clamouring for Wenger to get a star name that could galvanize Arsenal to the Premier League title. But Arsenal’s midfielder Jack Wilshere has talked down the pursuit of some striking targets by declaring that the French striker is good enough to lead Arsenal to the title.

“He’s [Berbatov] a great player. He has played for Manchester United. Players who don’t have ability don’t play for Man United. Said Wilshere.

“But he is a Fulham player so I can’t talk about him. We have Olivier, who has been great for us this season. If we can keep him fit we have a chance.

“People underestimate our squad. We have a lot of talent in there. Look at the bench – Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain plays for England, Podolski, Vermaelen isn’t even on there because he’s injured.

“We have to rotate sometimes and we do. Mikel comes in and I go out or to the right and that is important. If we are going to win the championship that is what we are going to have to do.”

Well said Wilshere. I agree with him that Giroud can lead us to the title with his work ethic, assists and goals but like he rightly positied, a lot is determined by him staying fit and with the large volume of matches to be played in the second half of the season in the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup. If Arsenal depend on Giroud to play all these games, the Frenchman could be ran aground and that could jeopardize our title ambitions.

What then is the solution? Arsenal need to get another striker that would be a good back-up for the Frenchman. With that on ground, Giroud could be rested ahead of crucial matches.