Arsenal Team News For Coventry Clash

Arsenal vs Bayern Munich

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has revealed the latest team news ahead of Arsenal’s FA Cup fourth round tie against Coventry City. The Premier League leaders host the League One team today and Wenger has given a load down on the players that are available and the ones that aren’t but not far from returning.

The biggest news is that of Danish striker Nicklas Bendtner who is available for selection after missing almost 4 weeks owing to an ankle injury. Here is what Wenger had to say about him ;

“He’s been back in the squad since the start of the week and he’s available if selected.”

Despite been out for almost four weeks, he is still ahead of schedule and provides a timely boost for a team suffering from dearth of strikers. With his availability, Wenger will likely rest Olivier Giroud ahead of the crucial Premier League clash against Southampton next Tuesday.

On Arteta and Ramsey, Wenger had this to say,

“Mikel Arteta and Aaron Ramsey join the squad on Monday, they are not available for Friday’s game. We lost as well Rosicky, he’s not available.”

Seems mixed news there. Apparently Arteta and Ramsey are short for today’s game but should be available for the clash against Southampton. That isn’t much of a worry as I believe we have enough firepower ever without them to prevent an upset and see off the challenge of the minnows at the first hurdle.

As for the others, Wenger revealed that young French striker who has been crocked for the better part of his debut season at the Emirates Yaya Sanogo is close to a return.

“We also have Yaya Sanogo coming back into the squad next week.”

All quotes via arsenal.com

Well, I take the piece of the news of his return with mixed feelings. While it is good because I really want to see him playing so he can show the stuff he is made of. Wenger believes in him because he has seen his potentials but fans don’t rate him no thanks to the fact that he came for free, young, inexperienced and hasn’t really played. To help Wenger and the fans reach a common ground, Sanogo must have a decent run of games and he needs to be fit to achieve that. That is why I am keen to see him back on his feet.

On the bad note, I hope Wenger won’t use his imminent return as a valid alibi not to bring in another striker in this window. despite the presence of Bendtner and Sanogo, we still need another body upfront, preferably someone more experienced and lethal.