Wenger Set To Offer Big Belgian Arsenal Deal

Arsene-Wenger

Arsenal’s relegated captain Thomas Vermaelen has been linked with the exit door owing to lack of regular football. The Belgian has lost his place in the starting team to Laurent Koscielny since the latter part of last season and since a winning team is difficult to tinker with, he has found a return back to the first team difficult.

To this end, reports have linked him with a move away from the Gunners with Barca and Napoli circling. Recently, West Ham boss Sam Allardyce declared that he would have loved to take the former Ajax captain on-loan till the end of the season but his request was seriously rebuffed by Wenger.

The latest reports have claimed the Arsenal manager is ready to offer Arsenal captain a new deal despite his limited role in the team this season. This will surely delight many Arsenal fans especially Arsenal football ticket holders who are of the opinion that Arsenal should be looking for purchase another centre back instead of selling one. Talking to the press, Wenger himself confirmed Vermaelen is likely to get another contract should the Belgian and the club come to an agreement on this.

“I’m open to it, I’m ready to extend his contract,” Wenger saidOf course we want Thomas Vermaelen to be happy and to have the number of games a player of his class deserves.

“But on my side I have a huge respect for his quality and attitude and I am ready to extend his contract.

“We will speak about that, but at the moment we are all on board to achieve something this season that is respectable and at the end of the season I can sit down with Thomas and see how he feels.”

It stands to be seen if Vermaelen will be open to extending his contract considering the fact that he is already twenty-eight and has just a year left on his contract. At that age, he would want to be playing regularly and that doesn’t look likely with Koscielny and Mertesacker”s thriving partnership not abating. With a year left, the summer is the best time to leave the Gunners as he either extends his deal or he is sold as failure to cash in on him could see him walking away from the Emirates for free next summer.

Meanwhile if you are interested in purchasing tickets for the Coventry FA cup clash, you can try our friends at Live Football Tickets.com