We Responded Well After Liverpool Humiliation – Giroud

Olivier Giroud

Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud believes Arsenal responded in a positive manner after their 5-1 loss to Liverpool by holding champions Manchester United to a drab 0-0 draw.

The match against United was marred with profligacy as both sides failed to convert promising chances in front of goal with the Frenchman being responsible for most of those for Arsenal. However, Giroud believes that Arsenal’s defensive display shows that they haven’t let the humiliation against Liverpool affect their mental equilibrium and are well capable of overcoming the challenges ahead of them.

Speaking to the Arsenal website after the match he said:

“I think we had a good reaction after the bad result against Liverpool. I think it’s a good draw to be honest even if we could have scored at the end. It was maybe just about our confidence.

“We did well in the first half especially but after we looked a bit tired. It’s ok, we had a good reaction on the pitch and I think that’s the most important thing even if we wanted to win the game.

“I’m confident for the remaining game and we’ll know a bit more about our future after Liverpool and Bayer [Munich] because we want to play in every competition.

Pretty confident words from Giroud and perhaps a tad ignorant, or that he is completely oblivious to his own poor performances. He was responsible for the breakdown of a lot of Arsenal moves and failed to get on target even the easiest of chances. His constant inability to offer support to the likes of Ozil and Cazorla was appalling and not befitting a player who expects to be a leading player for one of the best clubs in the world.

Giroud has shown flashes of brilliance followed by abject mediocrity over the course of this season and he will have to work hard to rectify that or risk Arsenal failing to win a trophy for the ninth successive year.