Arsenal Target Robin Van Persie Happy At Manchester United

Recent reports had suggested that former Arsenal Dutch striker Robin Van Persie was unhappy at Manchester United and was eyeing an exit from the club in the summer. A return to Arsenal was mooted but Serie A giants Juventus and AC Milan have also be touted as likely interested parties but the Dutchman has moved to douse the tension of an imminent exit by stating that he was happy at Manchester United, happy with Moyes and was even willing to extend his stay with the Red Devils.

“The truth is I’m very happy here at this club. I signed for four years and I’d be delighted to stay even longer, beyond the next two years I have left on my contract. This is how I feel, although it’s not what has been suggested in the media.

“I’m very happy with my team-mates and I’m very happy with my manager and his staff. The sessions we have on the training ground are fantastic and I’m learning a lot from them every day. I’ve been a professional footballer for 12 years now and there’s no doubt I’m learning new things and progressing with David Moyes.

“I can tell you that Moyes’ sessions and the things he says in his team meetings are spot-on. I really enjoy working under him and I’m absolutely convinced things will pick up and we’ll turn it around.

Interesting thoughts but how true? I believe Van Persie came up with this just to save his face. He already knows that he won’t be welcomed at Arsenal and must have guessed that opting to go to Juve would only emphasize the fact that he disrespected Arsenal by opting for Manchester United when Wenger offered to sell him to Juventus. As for AC Milan, the fact that the Milan might not be making the Champions League wouldn’t go down well with him.

Claiming he is happy at Manchester United is speaking too soon. I wonder if he would still maintain the same disposition if Manchester United miss out on a top four finish or even the Europa League places. Since he arrived England in 2004, Van Persie has never played Europa League football and there has never been a season he didn’t play UEFA Champions League football. Let us see how he reacts to a first season without European and Champions League football.