PSG Star Regrets Not Playing Under Wenger

Yohan-Cabaye-6646426

Arsenal’s search for midfield reinforcements took them to Tyneside where they approached Newcastle for French midfielder Yohan Cabaye last summer but the Magpies dug their heels and refused to sell to Arsenal for the fee Arsenal offered, something they called paltry and insulting. Wenger turned his attention elsewhere signing midfield duo of Flamini and Ozil. Months after, Cabaye has finally realised his dream of playing Champions league football after moving to PSG but that hasn’t erased the regret of missing out on an opportunity to join Arsenal.

“I would have liked to play for Wenger last summer but, unfortunately, it didn’t happen,” Said Cabaye.

Interesting but I don’t think his desire to play for Arsenal and Wenger was strong enough. If it was, he would have forced a move. Instead of submitting a transfer request that would have helped him secure his ‘dream’ move, he opted for strike action that failed to move stubborn Ashley and Pardew.

Do Arsenal really miss Cabaye? I don’t think so. I believe Flamini is a better defensive minded midfielder while we already have enough attacking minded midfielders. Some would argue he would have been a longer term solution but could he? At twenty eight, he is almost as old as Flamini and his arrival could have robbed Arsenal of a rejuvenated Ramsey because he would have been an automatic starter ahead of the Welshman. Benching Ramsey at the start of the season could have robbed the Gunners of a lethal Ramsey.

He missed the opportunity of ever playing for Arsenal and doubt if Wenger will return for him because in Ramsey, Wilshere and Chamberlain, Arsenal’s box to box midfield position is in safe hands for the long term.