Midfielder Star Explains Why He Snubbed Manchester United And Everton For Arsenal

Aaron Ramsey

Aaron Ramsey might be a big name in the Premier League and a rave of the moment but some years ago, he was just a talented youngster that was about to make the big leap from a Championship outfit (Cardiff) to the big league (Premier League team) and many EPL sides were queuing up to convince him they were his best choice. Arsenal, Manchester United and Everton were the front runners for his signature. The oduo of Manchester united and Everton tried but it was Arsenal that won the battle for his services. Here is what Ramsey had to see about the move;

“I had a few tough decisions at that time, I was travelling to a few different clubs at the time.

“When I knew Cardiff were going to sell me, the manager [Arsène Wenger] was doing the Euros at the time so he flew me and my family out and my agent to Switzerland to meet him in person and to have a conversation.

“We had a meal as well together so it was just to show how much he wanted me and what he believed he could help me turn into. That really won it for me and I feel like I’ve made the right decision in coming here.”

Wenger used his midas touch to win the race. While Wenger was smiling about how he won the race for the Welshman, Moyes could only count his losses and express shock at how Arsenal won the race.

“Yes, I was very close to signing Aaron when I was at Everton. I had him and his family in my house but Arsenal beat me to it.”

Manchester United’s case was even funnier. They actually announced that they had agreed a fee for Ramsey but Arsenal did more than agree a fee with the Welsh club, they agreed personal terms with the player and got him to sign the contract papers.

“Manchester United is delighted to announce it has agreed terms with Cardiff City for the transfer of Aaron Ramsey subject to contract terms being agreed and the player passing a medical.”

Ramsey finally revealed why he opted for Arsenal. Apparently, not only Wenger’s presence sealed the deal. His reputation at developing unknown young players into world stars had reached the aspiring youngster and what better route to been a superstar other than by plying the same route as other youngsters? This is what Ramsey said;

“Arsenal have brought through so many great young players and turned them into world-class players. He gives youngsters opportunities and if he feels that you’re good enough he’ll play you so those factors were massive for me.

“I just felt really wanted by this club.”

Apparently, Wenger is still the man with the midas touch. A lot of pundits felt he had lost it because in recent times, he has been unable to lure the best of talents to the Emirates but I believe more than anything the paucity of funds stood in his way. Wenger is still an attractive proposition for any top player. He lured Ozil to the Emirates and Cabaye recently declared he would have loved to play for Wenger and who knows, he might still do it.

Now that Wenger has money to spend, I believe that his presence and the huge transfer kitty would see Arsenal as a huge force in the transfer market. Wenger himself said it that Arsenal now had the money to compete with the top teams for the top players in the transfer market but money alone won’t do it, Wenger’s history, record and personality will also help a great deal.

Arsenal might have money to splash on experienced players but they won’t stop chasing talented youngsters but it is important they go after the best. These youngsters know that under Wenger, their chance of been fast tracked into the first team is brighter. Need I still say more on why Arsenal must keep Le Prof?