Team News For Swansea : Szczesny Set To Be Dropped From First Team

Wojciech-Szczesny

With his 1,000th game in charge of the Gunners going sour with a 6-0 thrashing at Stamford Bridge, I am expecting Arsene Wenger to wield the axe and heads to roll.

The Frenchman did that last season after Arsenal lost 3-1 at home to Bayern Munich in the Champions League dropping first choice goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny and club captain Thomas Vermaelen for the return leg. The crucial decision turned out to be a turning point in Arsenal’s season as the Gunners didn’t loose any other match till the end of the season and ended up snatching a top four spot from the jaws of their North London neighbours Tottenham.

Now, there is a feeling of déjà vu at the Emirates in the wake of the shocking defeat and it seems the Polish stopper Szczesny might be one of the victims of Wenger’s tirade. According to the Daily Star, Wenger seems to be concerned about Szczesny’s apparent arrogance and after a below par display at the Stamford Bridge, he might be dropped.

I support Wenger on this should he decide to carry it out though I won’t really blame the young Pole for the goals conceded. How many could he have saved? Almost all the goals were from point blank range and the only one he had the chance of saving was the second of Oscar’s goals. But probably, it is time for him to get a rest and allow Fabianski take over. His older compatriot has proven that he is also up for the challenge and deserves a stint in the side. Who knows, a run in the side till the end of the season could see him change his mind and agree an extension to his current Arsenal contract.

From the fallout of the game, Szczesny isn’t the only player that should be axed. Giroud and Arteta should be axed too. Giroud blew Arsenal’s early chance of a goal while he offered little or no threat for Chelesa’s defence. He apparent tepid performance put the Chelsea defence at ease allowing them to heap further misery on Arsenal. As for Arteta, he failed to offer proper protection to Arsenal’s back four. There is no reason why he should start ahead of Flamini. He either plays as the auxiliary defensive midfielder or takes his place on the bench.

People might call Wenger’s decision medicine after death but I don’t share the pessimism. There is a lot to fight for this season; the Premier League, top three finish and the FA Cup. No reason for the players to relax, they need to be on their toes.