Rivals Set Sight On Arsenal Captain

Thomas-Vermaelen

The ‘captain curse’ is rearing its ugly head once again as Gunners’ captain Thomas Vermaelen sets his mind on leaving the club.

The Daily Mail reports that Vermaelen who has spent the greater part of this season and the latter part of season before on the bench is considering his option as is unsatisfied with wasting away on the bench.

The player was quoted by the Daily Mail as saying thus:

“Now is not the time for talking about new contracts. We can speak after the season has finished. I did not expect to play as little as I have, but the two defenders in front of me have played well and maintained their fitness. I just have to accept that.”

Though, no quote from any official of Man United to suggest they are actually interested in the Arsenal captain, the fact that Nemanja Vidic is heading for Inter Milan at the end of the season and Rio Ferdinand would probably retire also at the end of the season are reasons being given by the paper.

The newspaper is also hinging Vermaelen’s departure on the fact that he is close friend of Robin Van Persie and also shares the same agent. According to the report Manchester United manager David Moyes is encouraged by the response Vermaelen gave when the issue of his contractual renewal with Arsenal was brought up.

“Now is not the time for talking about new contracts. We can speak after the season has finished. I did not expect to play as little as I have,” the player was quoted to have said.

The player who had lost his place in the starting line up of the team to the Mertesacker-Koscielny partnership was recalled to the starting line up yesterday due to the calf injury sustained by Koscielny last Saturday against Chelsea. His contribution to the team last night in a rescheduled EPL fixture against Swansea was not impressive, and was partly blamed for the first goal conceded by the Gunners.

Vermaelen signed for Arsenal from Ajax Amsterdam, and has since his contribution cut short by injuries before last season when he started struggling for form and had to lose his place to Koscielny.