Arsenal Injury News : Midfielder Makes A Comeback Ahead Of Top 4 Clash

Reprieve seems to have finally come the way of Arsenal’s crocked French midfielder Abou Diaby. The injury ravaged midfielder is set to step up his return from his latest injury (Cruciate ligament damage) that has seen him sidelined for over a year. Diaby isn’t only hoping to return in time to play some part in Arsenal’s end of the season run-in, he is also hoping to give Les Bleus coach Didier Deschamps some selection dilemma as he hopes to force his way back into French reckoning ahead of the World Cup. Below is what he told L’Equipe as published by goal.com;

“I’ve never given up hope of going to the World Cup. Thinking of that has kept me going. Once I’m back on pitch, everything’s possible.”

Wenger himself corroborated Diaby’s story that he was closing in on a return but refused to drawn in on a likely return date to the first team.

“Diaby is coming back now. He had a preparation in France, where he had his rehab, and will be back to full training on April 1.

“Let’s not forget he has not played for a year. I cannot predict now how much time it will take him to be competitive.

“I cannot plan for him to play a role now in the coming games, but maybe I will have a good surprise when I see him.”

I am happy that Diaby is closing in on a return but I am raising my hopes. It seems the Frenchman has a knack for flattery and deception, he gets fit when the season is drawing to a close only for him to break down at the key period of the season. It would be nice to see him star for Arsenal but we cannot afford to pin our hopes on him. Wenger should get in a proper defensive midfielder and see Diaby as just a plus if he fit but he shouldn’t be allowed to derail our season should he get injured.

The former Auxerre star’s contract expires next summer and Arsenal would be silly to offer him an extension to his current contract. He needs to prove that he is fit enough before an extension can be considered for him. just like Rosicky that had a clause in his deal that should he play at least 25 games in a season, he will get an extra year, Diaby should be subjected to the same condition as anything short of 30 appearances for Arsenal should see him ditched when his contract expires.