Arsenal To Raid Real Madrid For High Rated Midfielder

Arsenal’s season has faltered in recent weeks and one of the areas where the Gunners have been hard hit in recent weeks has been the defensive midfield position. Hence, it is not a surprise that Wenger is out looking to add steel to the brittle midfield. One name has been added as likely target and it is that of real Madrid’s Brazilian midfielder Casemiro according to the Mirror.

The 22 year old has been more of a fringe player at the Bernabeu this season but got an opportunity to star against Dortmund in the Champions League and he didn’t let it go by without making a huge impression. On why he hasn’t been playing more regularly, he had this to say and Marca quoted him;

“You’ll have to ask Ancelotti why I’m not playing more.”

Arsenal aren’t the only club interested in him as other European juggernauts Porto and Inter Milan have also been quoted with interest. Porto are planning for life after star midfielder Fernando who is set to join City in the summer while inter are planning an overhaul of personnel and he is seen as part of the new recruit.

Does Arsenal need him? I don’t think so. I agree Arsenal need a natural defensive midfielder but our target shouldn’t be an inexperienced Casemiro. Why go for the Brazilian when we can get more experienced midfielders like Bender or Gundogan?
I agree that Arteta and Flamini are both aging and need to be replaced but the replacement we should be searching for, for them is a proper and natural defensive midfielder – to me Casemiro is more of a box to box midfielder than a defensive midfielder. We already have ample box to box midfielders in the persons of Wilshere, Ramsey and Chamberlain. We have options in that role but in the real position of defensive midfielder that offer us real steel and defensive discipline, we are very lightweight and doubt if Casemiro can help solve that conundrum.