Wenger Gives His Reason For Not Playing Podoski Upfront

Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger has admitted how he has been struggling with temptation to play two strikers upfront as against his traditional one.

The manager, who attributed his inability to bow to such temptation to the absence of injured Theo Walcott, switched to a formation that allowed him use 2 strikers upfront in last Saturday’s FA Cup semi-final match against Wigan when he brought in Olivier Giroud and still kept Yaya Sanogo on the pitch.

The manager gave his full reason while speaking after yesterday’s match against West Ham at the Emirates:

“I am tempted [to play two strikers in the middle] but I have so many offensive players, who all want to go in the middle, and Lukas is the only one who is really a wide player.

“Rosicky is a central player, Cazorla is basically a central player, and when you don’t have Walcott it’s very difficult to do that.”

The boss also added that:

“I played him [Podolski] centre forward a few times and I felt he came a lot to the ball, more like an off-striker than a target striker.

“But he is a fantastic finisher because he has unbelievable power and a very short backlift.

“So the one you want to have a chance is him.”

Most fans have always wondered why we don’t always switch to 4-4-2 formation when the regular option fails to work. It beats me hollow especially when there is need to bombard the opponent’s defence. We did it against Wigan last Saturday, and even though neither of the 2 strikers on the field scored; it gave us a measure of unpredictability.

We seem to be the most predictable team in the EPL, with many managers finding it easier these days to frustrate our attacking efforts. As strong as Olivier Giroud is, he still finds it a bit difficult to hold his own against stronger oppositions especially when left on his own upfront.

Last night, German international, Lukas Podoski scored a brace, which secured us all 3 points at stake in a match Arsenal had gone behind before we equalised in the first half.