Wenger States The Importance Of Champions League Football

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger reiterated the importance of Champions league qualification after seeing his side defeat West Ham 3-1 at the Emirates on Tuesday night. A brace from Lukas Podolski, either side of a superb Olivier Giroud goal saw The Gunners overcome a stubborn West Ham who had earlier ahead much to the frustration of the Emirates faithfuls.

Speaking afterwards, the Frenchman, Arsenal’s longest serving manager declared: “It’s vital to me we do it. I want this club to play in top level competition. For that you want to be in the Champions league.”

Wenger has secured Champions League football for 11 consecutive seasons and saw off the challenge of Tottenham last season, seem set for another epic this season against an in-form Everton side with seven straight wins and recently thrashed the Gunners 3-0. However, Wenger aims to use the experience of previous years to his advantage. He stated: “What will be an advantage is our desire to play in this competition because we love the Champions league and just to imagine how much we love it will help us to achieve it.”

Similarly, he charged his wards to enjoy the battle rather than get exhausted by its thoughts. “I would like them rather to concentrate on the pleasure to be in it [rather than worry about the possibility of missing out],” he enthused.

Arsenal saw their treble hopes dashed when a succession of big games were lost and his team performing woefully, a situation Wenger claimed affected his side’s performance.

“We had a difficult schedule and today the rate of negative results and negative aspects of the results in the big games is massive, he started. “To deal with that is very difficult. When you have a succession of big games one after the other, if you lose the first one you are always in trouble,” he concluded.

An easy run-in awaits the Gunners and their fans will be hoping for their rivals to slip-up in the race for top four. If the objective is attained, a busy summer is anticipated by the fans with names like Mario Mandzukic, Julian Draxler, Lars Bender, Alvaro Morata and Casemiro thrown into the transfer wish-list in hopes of mounting a more serious title challenge next season.

Can Arsenal claim the fourth spot? Which players do you think Wenger will likely be able to attract? Tells us your view in the comment box below!