Arsenal Receive Boost In Striker Chase But Liverpool Join Race

Arsenal’s transfer target and Benfica striker Rodrigo had admitted he does not know which club he would be playing for next season.

The Brazilian international has had an amazing season scoring eleven league goals to place Benfica at the top of the Portuguese league table. He also has four continental goals to his credit including a goal in Benfica’s 3 – 1 win over Tottenham in March.

The striker has been on the watch list of both Arsenal and Liverpool. He had a stint with English side Bolton Wanderers in the 2010/11 season.

The economic rights of the player were sold to a private investment company this January by Benfica. Rodrigo has played for Spain at various junior levels and is not sure whether or not he would be in Lisbon next season. He spoke to ESPN Brazil

“I do not know what will happen next year. I really like Benfica. Of course there is interest in playing in other leagues. But playing in Benfica the club I like would not be too bad either.”

Aldaberto Machado, Rodrigo’s father who also doubles as his agent, has said he would meet with Benfica at the end of the season, giving rise to speculations that the player may be on his way to England next season. He said for now Rodrigo  is focused on winning silverware for Benfica this season but also hinted he may be on his way out in the summer

“I expect to meet with the club at the end of the season.

“We want the best for the player and for the club, but at the moment Rodrigo is only concentrating on Benfica and winning titles at the end of the season” he said to TMW.

Given the player’s uncertain future at Benfica, it would relatively easier to lure him to the Emirate. Wenger there’s work to do. Go get us Rodrigo!