Vermaelen May Leave Arsenal In The Summer – Agent

Vermaelen’s agent, Alex Kroes, has revealed that the player may leave Arsenal at the end of the season. Vermaelen is having a hard time trying to pin down a first team jersey at the club as Arsene Wenger prefers Per Mertesacker and Laurent Kioscienlny as central defenders.

Kroes had admitted that a lot of clubs across Europe have indicated interest in signing the Belgian international but said that Vermaelen’s future would be determined after the world cup.

“At the moment we are not thinking about it. There is a world cup to be played and we will postpone any discussions until afterwards. Kroes Said.

“Yes Napoli have been on the player and have stepped forward but other clubs have also shown their interest and not just Italian clubs.

“I repeat: wait until after the world cup, where Vermaelen is going to do his best, then we we will consider any kind of offer regarding his future.”

Vermaelen has spent more time on the bench than on the pitch. His dipping form and the efficient partnership between Mertesacker and Kioscienlny has further compounded his woes. The Gunners captain has found himself operating on the fringes of Wenger’s plan; more as a backup player than a first team starter.

He was very instrumental in their games against Everton and Bayern Munich when he came in as a replacement for his injured team mates. His performance at Allianz Arena was particularly praiseworthy as he played in a left-back position which was not his traditional role.

On almost every occasion he had been called up for duty, he has performed creditably well even in big games. This would go a long way in silencing the harsh criticisms he received at the end of last season and the early part of this season. He sure deserves some commendation for that.

If Thomas Verrmaelen decides to leave Arsenal after the world cup, will he be sorely missed?