Arsenal’s Finances Main Reason Why Wenger Couldn’t Spend Big – Ljungberg

Former Arsenal winger and Swedish international, Fredrick Ljungberg has renewed calls for Arsenal board to make sure manager Arsene Wenger extends his stay beyond this summer.

Wenger’s contract expires this summer and the 64-year old Frenchman has stalled on signing a new contract, prompting reports of his exit amidst interest from Europe’s elite clubs but the former Celtic man and Arsenal’s latest ambassador hopes the coach stays on to continue a legacy he has built for almost two decades.

“it is very important [that Wenger stays]. He built the club, the way they play today,” the Swede stated.

Ljungberg, 37, saw the likes of Robert Pires, Thierry Henry, Emmanuel Petit, Nicholas Anelka among others strut their stuff at Highbury and however blamed Arsenal’s dwindled fortunes in recent years on the move to a new stadium but believes the North London club are back in business with the signing on Mesut Ozil.

“There is no question about it when I saw them building the stadium; he had a restriction financially compared to when I played. That affected him. He could not just buy who he wanted.

“Now, with Ozil they have shown we have that financial power again. I really want him to be at the helm, leading the club forward and having the opportunity to build team he wants.”

Arsenal are currently fourth on 70 points, one more than Everton with three games to go as both teams fight for the last Champions League spot with the Gunners widely tipped to win the top four battle and continue their almost two-decade presence among Europe’s elite clubs.