Sagna And Podolski Set To Leave Arsenal

Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger has admitted that contract extension talks with their French defender Bacary Sagna are deadlocked. The player’s contract is would expire this summer and he seems to favour a move away from the Emirates.

One major issue that have led to the deadlock is Wenger’s legendary reluctance to offer players who are more than 30 years old long term contracts. He is however disposed to offer the 31 year old a new two-year deal with a slight pay rise.

According to Wenger,

‘At the moment they are not progressing. We know what we want from him, he knows what is on the table and that is where we are.

‘The ball is not in our camp anymore, it is in his camp, and he needs to come back to us.’

The Gunners would not like to lose one o f their very experienced players to another of their Premier league rivals. You could remember they sold Nasari, and Robin Van Persie to the Manchester clubs. These former Gunners went made their new clubs stringer and helped them to win trophies.

Meanwhile, Lukas Podolski could also leave the Emirates after being frustrated at his lack of playing time. After overcoming injuries that plagued him earlier in the season, Podolski scored crucial goals against West Ham and Hull City recently to sustain the Gunner’s push for Champions League football next season.

‘Of course I’m frustrated with this situation,’ he told The Sun, ‘you’re not a footballer if you’re happy to always be taken off after 60 or 70 minutes and watch from the sidelines.’

Podolski, who supports Cologne passionately, said of his former club, ‘It is one of the best leagues in the world. Cologne are more than a club for me – they are my home.’

He was pictured celebrating Cologne’s promotion to the Bundesliga with the fans over the weekend but a return to his old club seems unlikely. He enjoys the Champions League football that Arsenal has to offer and would not want to give that up just yet.