Why Arsenal Should Not Re-sign Alex Song

Like it is said, the grass isn’t always greener on another field and former Arsenal midfielder Alex Song seems to be learning that first hand. The Cameroonian midfielder has been far from been a regular since his move to Barcelona two seasons ago. In an interview, he revealed his openness to a return to the Premier League with his former club Arsenal as his preferred destination.

I will return to England one day, that’s for sure.

He [Wenger] was like a father to me.

He spoke a lot with me when I arrived to Arsenal.

I wanted to renew my contract with Arsenal but in that case I would have regretted not joining Barcelona.

Barcelona are the best side in the world.

That was what Song said not too long ago and now, it seems his dream is about to come true. The Cameroonian midfielder seems to have been declared surplus to requirement at the Nou Camp and could be leaving in the summer.

Song might be searching for a new club while Arsenal are reported to be in the market for a holding midfielder. Seems the needs of both parties align but should Arsenal take him back? Song with his move to Barcelona and the words he said after he sealed the move showed huge betrayal to Arsenal, could such betrayal be forgiven?

Also, will he walk back into the team? He might expect to walk straight back into the team because he is coming from Barcelona and that could create tension in the dressing room. In Ramsey, Flamini and Wilshere, Arsenal have talented midfielders that seem to have leapfrogged Song in recent seasons.

My position is simple, Arsenal need a defensive midfielder but we must look beyond Song. Arsenal are better off than the Cameroonian. Song isn’t disciplined enough for us to put our defensive fate in his hands. In his last season at Arsenal, he was playing more as an attacking midfielder rather than the defensive role he was saddled with. That box to box job he handled when he was around is now been handled by Ramsey and the Welshman is doing a great job of it.

Bender, Schnerderlin are better fit and Wenger should look at them and not Song. Song returning to Arsenal is bad news and we cannot allow it.