Why Drmic Joining Leverkusen Means Bundesliga Star Could Join Arsenal

Arsenal’s search for a world-class striker to complement Giroud upfront is well documented, and one man to fill that gap may very well be Carlos Vela. Yes, he is not world class I know!

With Bayer Leverkusen all but sure of sealing the signing of Josip Drmic for the summer, it is not all bad news for Arsenal as this may very well mean the return of Carlos Vela.

Vela who has been in outstanding form for Real Sociedad this season, left Arsenal in 2011 for a transfer fee of £2.5 Million, but may now return to London for £3.3 Million, being the clause inserted into his contract at that time.

Arsenal have been linked with a lot of strikers in recent weeks, and the loss of Drmic to Bayer Leverkusen could come as a blessing in disguise since we could very well activate Vela’s release clause which expires next season.

In Vela, Arsenal will be signing a player who is already familiar with the terrain, and may not take more than a few matches for the Mexican to start banging in the goals.

While Drmic may take quite some time to get used to the EPL, the same cannot be said of Vela who though, was not a success when he first joined Arsenal, can become a nightmare to defenders. The 25 year old Mexican international is now a more matured player, and has really improved in terms of his goal scoring abilities. This much the player himself confirmed;

‘I’ve matured, I’ve changed my way of thinking and I’ve not closed my mind to anything,’ the player was quoted in The Daily Mail recently.

He will provide us a different option to what Giroud brings to the team, and has the ability to dribble past defenders on his good day. Though, not as big as Giroud, his low centre of gravity will be an advantage especially on a one-on-one situation with some defenders.

In 120 appearances for the Basque side, the 25 year old goal poacher has netted 45 times in the Spanish La Liga since joining in 2011. This season, Vela has scored 16 goals and provided 12 assists in 40 appearances including one goal in the Champions League. These are definitely not bad statistics.

Vela was the star player of the FIFA Under-17 World Cup in 2005 where he was signed by the Gunners. He didn’t quite hit the right form until he was permanently signed by Real Sociedad after spending sometime on loan at the club.