Why Arsenal Fans Will Be Happy With Wenger This Summer

Wenger may have let some signings ‘slip’ off his hands in past transfer windows, but this summer promises to be different for a number of reasons.

A lot of fans may have valid reasons to feel aggrieved with the boss for the way the windows of the past (January in particular) were handled, and may find it difficult to forgive Wenger. The January window for instance provided us with an opportunity to sign a striker and a defensive midfielder, but we only ended up signing a crocked midfielder, and this of course, caused us the league in the view of some fans.

This summer however, we are likely to see a departure from what we have been used to in the Wenger era. The boss at least has been speaking to the press about addressing certain issues that have plagued the team in recent years.

On injuries:

Wenger has spoken a lot about addressing the team’s injury problems, and it does seem efforts are already being put in place to address that area. Virtually every fan agrees that injuries to Ramsey and Walcott caused us the league, and the fact that we were top of the league table until early this year when injuries started creeping in is an indication of what could have been had Ramsey and Walcott not sustained injuries.

On signings

Arsenal are about three to four signings away from challenging on all fronts, and Wenger knows this. The boss spoke on this a couple of weeks back when he said his interest is in signing ‘quality’ and not quantity. The quality of players being linked with the club proves that the club is looking at bringing in only those players that will improve the team.

Only last week, news filtered in that Josip Drmic had signed for Bayer Leverkusen. You will recall that the player was heavily rumoured to be on his way to Arsenal according to Lothar Matthaeus. The good thing about this news is that Wenger probably has a bigger fish to fry, and might just bring in a striker in the mould of Mandzukic.

Wenger’s contract extension

Rumours have it that Wenger has finally signed his contract, and the implication of this is that he probably still has the burning passion to go all out for the 2014/2015 league title. Arsene is a man that loves challenges, and he probably wouldn’t have put pen to paper on a new deal if the passion to succeed next season was lacking.

Also, I am of the belief that Wenger knows this is another chance for him to right his wrongs and protect his legacy with the club. He has been at the club for 18 years, the first 9 years were good and we won many trophies but we have won nothing in the last 9 years and the Frenchman sure do know it is getting to that time when he will leave the club and will surely want to leave on a high.

All in all, this summer seems to be the summer Arsenal will finally go all out and and make the fans smile.