Why Arsenal Should Javier Martinez From Bayern Munich

Arsenal’s search for a reputable and highly experienced defensive midfielder has seen the club linked with a number of world class players including Lars Bender, Morgan Schneiderlin, and recently Javier Martinez.

Besides Morgan Shneiderlin who plays for Southampton in the EPL, Bender and Martinez are established internationals for Germany and Spain. Both players are world-class, and are likely to command huge transfer fees. However, only Martinez of the three is capable of playing in the centre of the defence as well as in his traditional defensive midfield position, which places him shoulder above the rest.

The 25 year old Spanish international signed for Bayern Munich in the summer of 2012, and has gone ahead to play a number of key matches for the current German Champions.

Martinez has a 90.5% pass completion rate, and has a very strong aerial ability compared to Bender and Schneiderlin. For a player who could play in three separate positions in a team, Arsenal will be lucky to have Martinez in the club. He has the experience when it comes to playing as a central defender, a defensive midfielder, as well as a central midfielder.

With our injury records, a player like Martinez will be one of the best signings to provide the needed depth in squad. He has also being hailed for his passing ability as well as his ability to play as a defensive midfielder.

At 25, the Spanish international is already at his peak, and could bring a lot of experience into the Arsenal team that boasts of some of the best midfielders in the EPL. He featured for Bayern Munich against VfB Stuttgart in the Bundesliga last Saturday, and had a great game with a 7.24 rating.

He is currently valued at €37 Million, and has a contract with Bayern that expires in the summer of 2017. Though, his transfer fee is higher than what players like Lars Bender (€22 Million) and Morgan Schneiderlin (€8.5 Million), his wealth of experience cannot be matched by both players.

As at this stage, it is not known yet if the manager is going all out for Martinez, but he is definitely one player to bring quality to our team. To me signing Martinez makes a lot of sense. He can cover the CB for us and he is quality enough to pay defensive midfield which are two positions in which we urgently need addition(s).